Storming the Knights finish
The biggest thing on this was getting the catapult to look structurally correct and mot just a confusing mass of timber. I obviously shrunk the Knight down enough to look as if he’s at a distance but not so far as that you couldn’t see the look on the horses face.
I made some modifications to Marco as well. I moved the head up and elongated the neck to avoid the awkward line from the bridge of his nose down the shoulder. (See previous sketch.)
In the early sketch stages, you have to be ready to re-adjust things like this. Its best to break up these straight lines cause compositionally, they can create confusion of what it is you’re representing AND direct the eye away from where you want it to be led. Pay attention to your image’s overall shape. A simple outline is compositionally boring. Breaking up concise outer edges adds interest to the shape. Also, dropping in negative space in the middle areas — particularly, in the catapult, adds an airiness that keeps the image from being clunky.
Finally, I lengthened Marcos right arm and moved it away from the rope, so as to give more visibility to the knife on the rope.
Good luck Herd.